We want to test out the installation and management of Posit Connect (previously RStudio Connect).
- A machine running Ubuntu
- I used a Windows machine with VMWare workstation 16 player and a clean install of Ubuntu 20.04 from ISO
- RStudio server installation (basically because this installation process includes the installation of r-base and I was hoping to test a single server with dual installation of RStudio server and Posit Connect)
- I followed the steps on this documentation page Download RStudio server
- Windows with a WSL
- I got issues when Posit Connect used
System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate.I’m thinking that my release of WSL didn’t support Systemd so I moved on to other options
- I got issues when Posit Connect used
- Virtual machine running Ubuntu
- I got this to work and the remaining blog post starts with this as a basis
- ChromeOS with Debian
- I actually tried this first and got issues with the service failing to start
- After trying the install on the virtual machine running Ubuntu and getting the same issue (which I resolved with a configuration change), I tried the configuration fix on ChromeOS debian and it worked
Following on this Posit documentation page Manually install Posit Connect. In my case, the Ubuntu installation I had was 20.04. (This same installation worked for Debian on ChromeOS)
sudo apt-get install gdebi-core curl -O https://cdn.rstudio.com/connect/2022.12/rstudio-connect_2022.12.0~ubuntu20_amd64.deb sudo gdebi rstudio-connect_2022.12.0~ubuntu20_amd64.deb
After running the installation, test that the service is running.
sudo systemctl status rstudio-connect
For me, unfortunately, the service failed to start.
● rstudio-connect.service - Posit Connect Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rstudio-connect.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled) Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2023-01-04 01:15:02 PST; 116ms ago Process: 20215 ExecStart=/opt/rstudio-connect/bin/connect --config /etc/rstudio-connect/rstudio-connect.gcfg (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE) Main PID: 20215 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE) Jan 04 01:15:02 ubuntu systemd: rstudio-connect.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5. Jan 04 01:15:02 ubuntu systemd: Stopped Posit Connect. Jan 04 01:15:02 ubuntu systemd: rstudio-connect.service: Start request repeated too quickly. Jan 04 01:15:02 ubuntu systemd: rstudio-connect.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'. Jan 04 01:15:02 ubuntu systemd: Failed to start Posit Connect.
After checking the the log:
sudo cat /var/log/rstudio/rstudio-connect/rstudio-connect.log
I found the last log line showing that the reason the service cannot start is the Posit Connect cannot find the installation of R.
time="2023-01-04T09:15:02.118Z" level=fatal msg="Error: Unable to initialize local environment: Unable to use R on this system: Could not locate an R installation"
I’m not sure what default location for R that Posit Connect searches for. Let’s find out where R is installed on our system:
Looks like it is installed in
sudo vim /etc/rstudio-connect/rstudio-connect.gcfg
Initially I tried a configuration of
/usr/bin/ but found that Posit Connect was by default adding
bin to the path and looking in
/usr/bin/bin/. This was the configuration that worked for me:
[Server] RVersion = "/usr/"
Restart the service and check the status:
sudo systemctl restart rstudio-connect sudo systemctl status rstudio-connect
● rstudio-connect.service - Posit Connect Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rstudio-connect.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled) Active: active (running) since Wed 2023-01-04 01:18:51 PST; 11s ago Main PID: 20580 (connect) Tasks: 22 (limit: 9408) Memory: 26.1M CGroup: /system.slice/rstudio-connect.service ├─20580 /opt/rstudio-connect/bin/connect --config /etc/rstudio-connect/rstudio-connect.gcfg ├─20622 /opt/rstudio-connect/ext/rserver-monitor --monitor-data-path /var/lib/rstudio-connect/metrics --monitor-interval-seconds 60 --monitor-domain-socket /tmp/connect-server/rserver-monitor.socke> ├─20628 /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/rrdtool' '-' └─20632 /usr/bin/rrdtool - Jan 04 01:18:51 ubuntu systemd: Started Posit Connect. Jan 04 01:18:52 ubuntu rstudio-connect: time="2023-01-04T09:18:52.476Z" level=info msg="Loaded server migration from '/etc/rstudio-connect/rstudio-connect-migration.gcfg'" Jan 04 01:18:52 ubuntu rstudio-connect: time="2023-01-04T09:18:52.480Z" level=info msg="The migration file does not affect the configuration" Jan 04 01:18:52 ubuntu rstudio-connect: time="2023-01-04T09:18:52.480Z" level=info msg="Found 0 environment variables starting with 'CONNECT_' that may affect configuration.\n" Jan 04 01:18:52 ubuntu rstudio-connect: time="2023-01-04T09:18:52.482Z" level=info msg="Using file /var/log/rstudio/rstudio-connect/rstudio-connect.log to store Server Logs."
Success, we have a installation of Posit Connect up and running.
Note: it is a 45 day free trial license.